Solder Ball Compression Test
Solder paste manufacturers and experts are constantly formulating new compositions of solder alloys with flux materials. To validate new formulations, solder strength data is collected through compression testing.
- Accurately compressing micro scaled solder balls (200 microns in diameter and above)
- Holding the substrate with solder balls
- Need for non-ambient testing temperatures
- Short testing time can lead to an insufficient number of data points
- Instron offers custom pin-type probes of various diameters that can be used to accurately compress the solder balls.
- A multitude of clamping solutions to hold the substrate or the package securely are available. These systems can be mounted on motorized XY stages to automate the solder ball compression test.
- The TestCam Module and camera for Bluehill® Universal can be used to record and play back high-speed videos and pictures taken during the test. This allows for the flexibility to visually analyze the corresponding ball compression state at different force values.
- In some scenarios of solder ball compression testing, pre-heating of the solder ball is needed before performing the test. To support this requirement, Instron offers a custom heating stage that has the ability to heat substrates or packages such as ball grid arrays (BGAs) before performing the test.
- An Instron 5900 series testing system is recommended for this test due to its high data capture rate.
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB
Bluehill® Software TestCam Video Recording and Playback module enables the user to record and replay the actual test event, allowing the operator to examine specific regions and points of interest for materials and components that produce distinct test curves.
- 1.9 MB
Bluehill® 3 is the newest version of Instron’s widely popular Bluehill Software, designed to meet the demands of any level of user from educators and test technicians to, quality engineers and laboratory managers. Compatible with 5900, 3300 and 5500 systems.
- 2.0 MB